french60wasp's picture french60wasp
columnist
| March-April 2019 Fishing Thread | commented 11 hours 30 min ago | reply

If I can get on my spot on the Potomac, 100 hickory shad with an occasional American shad mixed in isn't an uncommon day. I love it on medium light spinning tackle. I caught so many one year that I had to replace the drag washers on my Shimano Stradic.

I have heard of some shad caught up here, but I have not dove in just yet. Thursday morning is looking mighty ripe though.

If Buzz leaves

You guys are all treating this like a forgone conclusion. The team is still alive in the tourney and buzz is still the coach. Let's chill the fuck out until we actually know whether or not the sky is falling.

Hokieflyguy's picture Hokieflyguy | March-April 2019 Fishing Thread | 1 reply | commented 11 hours 46 min ago | reply

Haha indeed it is you Beaver!

I'm looking for someone I can rent one for a few trips a year (probably 4 max) on the New. Most of the trips I'm running I'm already set up with Mike Smith of New River Fly Fishing. However, I've got a select few clients/friends that I'd like to run for a much cheaper cost than he charges. Any interest?

Willing to pay cash or do a barter of some sort if you prefer.

I already rented Scott McFadden's boat once last fall and it was returned safe and sound so I've got a reference on here.

Happy to email you or call you to discuss if you have any interest.

Thanks!

Here is a list of current prospects that I think the staff should be held accountable for landing as they are very high priority and we are very much in the hunt. After already missing on a few of our targets these guys are now extremely high priority. The staff should be criticized for these misses if they happen.

Jalen Coit - WR
Antwuan Powell - DE
Quentin Williams - DE
Isaiah Raikes - DT
RJ Adams - OG
Andru Phillips - CB

Here is a list of prospects that I would feel like the staff went above and beyond to land and should be applauded for landing:

Tyler Baron - DL
Fadil Diggs - DE
Michael Carmody - OT
Blake Corum - RB
Keandre Lambert - WR*
Malcolm Greene - DB
De'Arre McDonald - CB

*It's embarrassing the position we sit with him to be frank. He recently listed 3-4 other schools that were recruiting him the hardest and we weren't one of them. He almost certainly will NOT be a take at Clemson which is where he would commit if he was allowed right now (I'd put money on that). After that it looks like we are behind UNC, PSU, etc. He recently got a UGA offer and I'm sure he would go there if he is a take as well. A&M is also seen to be in decent position last I saw. He is Kam Chancellor's cousin, and it seems like he wants to go anywhere but VT at the moment.

I'm going to probably re-post this in each future recruiting thread to keep track of how we are doing on these prospects.

avtfan's picture avtfan | Question regarding NCAA tourney tickets | commented 11 hours 50 min ago | reply

Thank you.... Any idea on being able to move down? It always seems like every game, the fans of both teams are always down low/behind their team's bench. I got to imagine some fans leave early if their team loses in the first game, opening up some seats for our game.

makes sense with the no re-entry.

vtnerf's picture vtnerf | Question regarding NCAA tourney tickets | 2 replies | commented 11 hours 54 min ago | reply

Correct. No re-entry since it's the same session.

Generally no, because it is one "session"- there is no break between games- well 20-30 mins- but not a session break. In my experience inbetween game scalpers are few and far between for sweet 16 games.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Since this is major basketball, and half of all players transfer over their careers, none of this is a stretch. Nolley has not played one minute here and was recruited by Buzz Williams. Would it surprise you if he left when Buzz leaves? And in terms of the freshman, the new coach is going to have to recruit them all over again- it's 50/50 at best whether they stay. Hoops is a different animal in this regard compared to football. NC State had 8 scholarship transfers on their team this year. VT will have to do much of the same next year to fill a roster.

vtae13's picture vtae13 | 2019 "I wanna go fast!" Thread | 1 reply | commented 12 hours 2 min ago | reply

hope its better than this new aero package. Lot's of promises being made but let's see if NASCAR can keep them.

VTacajoe's picture VTacajoe | Question regarding NCAA tourney tickets | commented 12 hours 2 min ago | reply

answer...don't!

avtfan's picture avtfan | Question regarding NCAA tourney tickets | 1 reply | commented 12 hours 3 min ago | reply

Does anybody know if we can buy the tickets off the fans of loser of the LSU/MSU game who don't want to stay and watch the VT/Duke game? I have to fathom that some fans won't be interested in staying for the 2nd game if their team loses.

Like is there two game passes? Or is it just one for the whole session? I am thinking about scalping/buying it off the loser team's fans instead of buying it now on the secondary sites.

Since our game is 2nd on Friday night, we have that luxury to wait. I know my friend went with his dad to the elite 8 game when George Mason played in DC in 2006 and bought/scalped their tickets for $100.

Ahhh.. online is a crapshoot... some times you get paid, sometimes you don't. Buyer beware! Good luck Bud

IfishVTIam's picture IfishVTIam | March-April 2019 Fishing Thread | commented 12 hours 14 min ago | reply

Helloooo? Is this the party with whom I am speaking?

Folks talking about marquee games at home . . . here's the games I would consider the marquee home games since 2001:

2018 - Notre Dame (mandated by conference)
2017 - Clemson (conference game)
2015 - Ohio State
2012 - GT or FSU (both conference games)
2011 - Clemson or Miami (both conference games)
2009 - Nebraska
2005 - Miami (conference game)
2003 - Texas A&M and/or Miami (conference game)
2002 - LSU
2001 - Miami (conference game)

Some of those might be stretching a bit, but I tried to think in terms of which game I would go to if I could only go to one.

Several of the other years had neutral site games, so we weren't really scheduling big games at home, unless we lucked out with a conference team being good and coming to Blacksburg (see 2017 with WVU at FedEx and Clemson at home). A few of the more recent even years didn't have a single marquee game, but had the GT/Miami/UVA home schedule.

Either way, there's four non-conference games on that list (not counting ND since we were told to play them).

See it's just a red herring. He is having the Nats front office staff meet him at Capital One Arena to throw people off the scent