selhini's picture selhini | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | commented 1 day 3 hours ago | reply

100%. ...Or even discovered later on that they might not be a good fit.

Well first, wouldn't it actually be Burden's job to coach him to block... you know, as the RB coach?

I liked Travon but you seem really caught up on a player listed as the 30th best draft eligible running back by Walter Camp (he projects in the 6th rounder to UDFA range). Yes he had a 1000 yard season at Colorado but if you look at the entire season it tells an interesting story. He had 100 yard games in 4 of their first 5 and then once the competition improved, he managed only one 100 yard game in the last 7. I wish him the best but let's not make him out to be Christian McCaffrey.

Mickelmarcus's picture Mickelmarcus | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | commented 1 day 4 hours ago | reply

I think the point he is making is that he was 1-dimensional in the offense that made him an asset (to your point) and a liability. This gave opposing defenses better reads into how to evaluate our sets (especially in passing situations).

I don't know if that play is the perfect example, but there are dozens of others that are examples of his unwillingness to protect others with the ball. I don't care who is evaluating him - he better block in today's game.

I second Craven Cottage. It's a really cool stadium right along the river.

HokieRif's picture HokieRif | Hokies Offer 2020 Speedster C.J. Beasley | commented 1 day 4 hours ago | reply

Any chance David Wilson or Kevin Jones is free for a quick chat with the young man? Something along the lines of selling him on some of NFL backs that have come out of VT and then daring him to break some records?

This should be more alarming to people than what it is. Robinson hasn't had a "good game" by his standards at least since mid-December. I don't know if he's playing thru an injury, something off court on his mind, or just a run of the mill basketball funk, but some thing is off with him. He isn't having the same impact on games we saw last year and games earlier this year. We definitely need him to be at his peak if we want to go beyond the goal of just being a team that makes the Tournament. We've got enough talent if everyone plays their A game, but our margins are razor thin since we have no depth without Nolley and Clarke. If one guy is off, it's gonna be hard to stay at the top of the ACC when we play the better teams. It was nice seeing Bede having probably his best game of the year so maybe he can continue to step up, but still. It's best if 5 is at his best.

Hokierick's picture Hokierick | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | commented 1 day 4 hours ago | reply

He is a good I formation throwback running back whose main job does not involve blocking. Classic Beamer O. Not running out of the spread and having to block 50% of the time. Just not a fit with new offense. And many NFL teams are going to a spread style as well.

Whelp, we won. And (most importantly) LOLUVA got Dook'd.

StineyDraw48's picture StineyDraw48 | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | 1 reply | commented 1 day 4 hours ago | reply

Everybody knows that was Coleman Fox's role. Kid's a real gym rat.

I question how much Fuente actually tried to work with him on improving his blocking [there. I said it ]. Also counterpoint: gotta coach to the players' strengths, use the weapons you already have, build upon & strengthen them (translation: GIVE MCMILLAN THE DANG ROCK).

Chris's picture Chris | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | 2 replies | commented 1 day 5 hours ago | reply

Yeah that play he had to make a lose-lose choice between two different linebackers who both came through unblocked. If he stonewalled one the other would have still gotten home.

Chris's picture Chris | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | 1 reply | commented 1 day 5 hours ago | reply

I guess they did when it was 35-14 but they had to turn it back on, we were literally twenty five yards away from equalizing (or going for two like Fuente said he would have done). It was a weird game, but it's not fair to say it was just "calling off the dogs" when we almost won. They pulled a lot of shit out of the bag on their final TD drive.

Hokie Hounds's picture Hokie Hounds | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | commented 1 day 5 hours ago | reply

If you don't have the ball as an RB, you better be protecting the person with the ball or working to get it. Standing around letting your QB get blown up will get you run off a team quick these days.

The one ref had a mad on for us for some reason. He was getting booed in Cassell, the other guy was at least fair.

I suppose it depends on how we envision finances. For the most part a lot fo businesses consider "money in the bank" to be a type of "end game". To grow and operate you mostly need net positive cash flow. It was a hard lesson I had to learn in terms of how I viewed our status. Having said that, I love "money in the bank".

Hokie54's picture Hokie54 | OT: STAR TREK DISCOVERY | commented 1 day 5 hours ago | reply

I love the show. I have been a long time Trek fan. The second season of Discovery looks promising with the connection to Captain Pike, Spock and the Enterprise.

Vtkey's picture Vtkey | McMillian: "It was not a good fit" | 1 reply | commented 1 day 5 hours ago | reply

When you have a new coach, you have to get on board with the program.

If I remember correctly, that game was only close because Clemson called off the dogs in that game.

I'm sorry, you're right. I guess I assigned more value to his 5.3 YPC & his 2 TDs (which helped bridge the gap in the score deficit). But no, you're right. If McMillan had correctly picked up that block, there's absolutely ZERO chance Evans doesn't complete the pass & ZERO chance we don't score the TD & the 2 pt conversion. I mean Evans' TD/INT ratio for that whole game was 1/2. But you're correct. That one whiffed block means more than his 2 TDs.