vtfly's picture vtfly | New 2013 Season Trailer | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

It was indeed the "Whole Damn Show" RVD.

vtfly's picture vtfly | 4/3/13 Hokie Offensive Line Depth Chart | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

Great Bitter read:

Gibson welcomes the new approach.

“It’s a fresh start. I love the intensity that we have now,” he said. “This is the first time that I felt real competition, like we’re really getting after it. I love it. [Grimes] is definitely a no-nonsense guy. That’s, I feel, the best way to go about it. I feel like it’s strictly business out there. And we’re handling it.”

Not that we didn't know but not having Newsome play favorites seems to have the OL ready to battle out there. I love these new coaches more every time I read about them.

Vhokiet's picture Vhokiet | New 2013 Season Trailer | 1 reply | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

Can anybody tell who had that beautiful block on the Jarrett PR TD vs Pitt?

Was it RVD?

Its that time of year where I buy into our "next 10 win team"...This year though, I actually am starting to believe it...

sounds like you got some shitty insurance stl

vtfly's picture vtfly | Bull in the Ring Results | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply
StLHokie's picture StLHokie | Exum Once Again Owning the Twitterverse | 1 reply | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

My ACL surgery cost about 17 grand after insurance

I agree completely.

Foster has absolutely earned the right to be next in line. I will be extremely disappointed in program if he's not the head coach after Beamer. He's been loyal and stayed in Blacksburg, even when other (less prestigious) programs came calling.

If Shane's last name was Smith, no one would ever consider him to be a viable candidate for next head coach. I want to see a Beamer dynasty as much as the next guy, but let's be realistic. It'd be quite a reach to move him all the way up.

This gets me so pumped.... I am so glad to see Logan getting into the nitty gritty while fixing his mechanics. He has a huge ceiling!!

hokiecheme's picture hokiecheme | Auburn bribed players | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

In other news, water is wet

bar1990's picture bar1990 | ESPN Rumors of "Major Changes Expected"? | 3 replies | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

I agree that you don't need to be an X's and O's guy to be a head coach, but what has Shane done to prove himself as a game manager? Can he motivate players? Can he lead players? When we have a tough loss (which, as VT fans, we know happens all too frequently) can he help the team bounce back? Can run a good practice, where everyone gets the necessary snaps and practices the right stuff? Most of all, will the players respect him and buy into whatever philosophy he preaches?

I have no reason to doubt Shane has any of the attributes necessary to be VT's head coach, but I also have no evidence suggesting he does. VT might not have the elite, legendary status of a Michigan, a Notre Dame, or an Alabama, but I believe we're a top 20 college football program, and top 20 programs don't hire a head coach with minimal experience. For me to be ok with Shane getting that kind of promotion (assuming he stays at VT), I'd want him to be at least in charge of special teams for a year or two, and of course, I'd expect to see some impressive results over those two years.

In the hypothetical situation where Beamer retires tomorrow, and we have to promote someone from within, my first choice would be Bud, followed by Stiney (who players love, and seems to have the same skill set as Shane, but more experienced and a worse last name), followed by... Shane I guess? Note that I'm excluding the Loeffler & company because I'm yet to see him in action for VT.

Last question though: If Shane's last name wasn't Beamer and he wasn't a VT alum, but otherwise had the same resume, would he even be considered a candidate to replace Frank?

(somewhat) obligatory

Hopefully we'll take Kirby Smart's defense and make it look like Kirby Stupid! #BEATBAMA

/obligatory

Hokieshibe's picture Hokieshibe | Auburn bribed players | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

I think we need to take a breath and let all this play out. It's not like there are multiple sources this is stemming from, or anyone willing to say anything on camera or in court or anything right now. It could be sensationalism (although there's certainly been a fair amount of smoke around that team, so a fire really wouldn't shock me either). Lets wait and see.

macraw83's picture macraw83 | Bull in the Ring Results | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

Accidentally, of course.

Blue Collar Hokie's picture Blue Collar Hokie | Auburn bribed players | 1 reply | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

if true it's troubling that grimes was on this staff, but like joe says above, consider the source. this guy is about to go on trial for a home invasion robbery and he's saying innocent because, "he was unwittingly pulled into a robbery by his teammates." really? can anyone think of a scenario where you could unwittingly take part in a home invasion?

Joe Lanza's picture Joe Lanza
publisher
| Auburn bribed players | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

The original story is here and it is worth reading in its entirety: http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/auburns_vainted_title_victims_violations.... If everything in there is true, it's more messed up than NCAA violations. The author is Selena Roberts, who was heavily criticized by the media for what she wrote about the Duke Lacrosse case. It should be noted that one of the players quoted, Mike Blanc, is saying what was sourced from him is inaccurate: http://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1491490.

Grimes and Loeffler weren't mentioned in the piece.

VTimHokie85's picture VTimHokie85 | New 2013 Season Trailer | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

That was sweet! Thanks for sharing!

DIRTYBIRDS12's picture DIRTYBIRDS12 | Bull in the Ring Results | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

Only one word can describe this: YUM

Charlotte Hokie's picture Charlotte Hokie | Bull in the Ring Results | commented 6 years 2 months ago | reply

I think he is going to beat out Miller as the nastiest.

I think you are right. Just hope his fumble issues have been resolved cause that dude has pop.