Well Fight Island became a reality........in Abu Dhabi. I honestly kind of like watching fights without an audience, it's pretty cool to hear every punch, kick and takedown. Overall I thought it was a pretty good card.
- Ribas/ Van Zant was always gonna be a huge mismatch, I also became a fan of Ribas through her interviews. that whole sequence of hip toss -> back take -> armbar was super slick!
- Namajunas/ Andrade was a great scrap too, thought Rose won 2-1
- Aldo / Yan: I was screaming at my tv for the ref to stop this fight. IMO Aldo took unneeded punishment for 2 minutes longer than he should've (maybe I'm exaggerating the 2 minutes thing). He was done, sad to see that happen to a legend of the sport, but I thought it was a good back and forth fight until the end. This really highlights a problem in MMA thats been around for a while but I feel like we've seen more if it in the last few months. Corners refuse to throw in the towel, and refs are super inconsistent with stoppages, and ultimately it's the fighters who pay the price. I get these guys want to go out on their shields, but its tough to watch.
- Holloway/Volkanovski: I thought Holloway won, it was a close fight. But the rounds Holloway won were way more decisive than the rounds Volkanovski won. Highlights another problem in MMA the 10-9 scoring system.
- Usman/Masvidal: Not an exciting fight, but what are you gonna do, this is what Usman does to most of his opponents
The KOs on the prelims by Davey Grant and the dude from the Czech Republic (Jiri sp?) were pretty nasty too as was Makwan Amirkhani's anaconda choke.