Hello, I'm Eric (@BeerControl) and as Joe noted in a previous post, I'm the newest writer for the TKP. This is my 4th try to write this post. I've had more stops and starts than UVa football has had intentions to become relevant. Anyways, how best to introduce me to you... Oh I know, a question and answer session with myself.
- Who am I? I'm a ‘95, Pamplin College of Business grad, 3rd Generation Hokie, who is married with 2 little princesses. I obviously love Hokie football, but it goes deeper than that. I love college football and as my wife will attest, will watch almost any game. I love the varied schemes and different levels of play that make the game more exciting than the pros, even if it's played at a lessor level.
- How did I get lucky and become associated with TKP? Simple, Joe asked and I accepted.
- What do you plan to write for TKP? I plan on writing two pieces a week for the site. The first will be What's Important Now, a bullet point, semi detailed column on what the Hokies need to do to win each week. The second will be the viewing guide of football games that need to be on the casual fan's radar for the weekend. I have done a viewing guide for over a decade, first as a spreadsheet for the season and recently as a weekly blog post. It's my absolute favorite thing to write. Many shots will be taken at other programs and occasionally at ours.
- Am I qualified or experienced? I did have a blog that kept up for a couple of years, but then my life became a bit too busy. I have also written 20 or so columns for Southernpigskin.com under an awful pen name. A few, I thought were pretty well done for Bidness school major.
- Too busy? Yeah, that whole working, commuting and having a family sure is a time consumer. As the cliche goes, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Well OK, I would trade the work part. Is anyone hiring a craft brew taster who travels all over the U.S. for beer and sporting events?
- Ahh, so you're a beer snob? Well, more like a beer geek. I don't look down at Bud Light drinkers, just their beer of choice. Trust me, those days of over consumption of crap is in my past. Now in my matured (lol) life it's quality over quantity. I drink mostly IPAs, but Stouts, Porters, Belgian Strong Darks and Pale Ales are often in my fridge. Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye is my favorite beer but Stone, New Belgium Ranger and Bells Two Hearted IPAs are right there. In the past I have brewed quite a bit of beer, in the last year and half, not so much. I will return to this hobby one day soon.
- Let's get to the Hokie questions, what are my favorite games I attended? 1990, VT beating down a previously (undeserved) no. 1 UVa. As a high school senior that outcome locked up VT as my college choice, easily trumping candidates Bill & Mary and UVa. The first Thursday night lights game in Lane. The 1994 w(fn)vu electric beat down was amazing and started to make Lane a destination for ESPN night games. The 1999 Sugar Bowl watching Michael Vick out athlete the most athletic defense in college, play after play, even in a loss. Finally, Da U in 2003, an inhospitable visit. The day included an epic tailgate, a Cane ass whippin' and ended with a shutdown of Main Street. It may never be topped.
- And conversely, the what are the hardest losses watched live? I don't want to dredge too deep in these memories but 1991 ECU, 2002 Pitt and the 2006 Peach Bowl vs UGA losses still sting. I will say, watching a game on TV is 1000x more intense when losing. It pisses me off to no end, I handle it so much better in person. Sort of weird, I know.
- Who are my top five favorite Hokies? In order: Corey Moore, Vince Hall, Ryan Williams, J.C. Price and Brandon Flowers. Use to play basketball with J.C. back in the day, he was a point forward. No way was anyone getting around his 290lb body when he started backing you down. Corey Moore was the most electric and wild Hokie defender ever, the man left it out on the field every time out.
- Any dirty little secrets? I actually think the key play is extremely overused by Hokie fans. Not every 3rd down is a key play. Please fans, be more selective, like this site, make it important.
See you soon with some worthwhile content.