Obviously the coaches didn't throw a ton of players out there this week. And I didn't notice several guys, so I assume it was mostly special teams duty.
I liked how physical the team played. Our running backs embodied it, as did the offensive line for much of the game. But the mistakes were painful.
Let's look at the roster.
1. Antone Exum - Does anyone else think he plays fast and tough? He's going to get better at being in position earlier to make plays the longer he's on the field.
2. Josh Oglesby - Not enough people are talking about his performance. It's not easy to run near the goal line and he made several key plays. He's an important part of this backfield. He's best when he picks a lane and heads downfield. Not dancing. Again, beast performance on Saturday.
3. Logan Thomas - So much to say, but let me limit it to this: The key thing to watch is improvement. He is coming off his first road start. We saw Tyrod develop into a great QB. We need to watch for the same with Logan. And we're asking him to do a lot, more than I think we asked Tyrod in his second year. Here's a Tyrod stat line from Week 3 as a sophomore, in a 20-17 win over Georgia Tech in Lane: 9-14 for 38 yards. He averaged 3.4 yards per completion. But he rushed for 74 and a touchdown. LT3 can make plays when he's running with the rock. I want to see a healthy dose of him trucking people come Week 5.
4. David Wilson - It's just fun to watch him play football. Bad fumble, but something tells me he's taking it very personally.
7. Marcus Davis - He definitely needs to tighten his game up. He's capable of so much and he'll get there, but there's obvious room for improvement.
9. Cris Hill - Every time I saw Cris he was making a play.
11. Dyrell Roberts - Kind of a quiet day for Dyrell, but again made a special teams play with a nice kick return. He's always solid.
13. Randall Dunn - Didn't see Mr. Dunn.
15. Eddie Whitley - Eddie seemed to have a good game, sans the penalty.
17. Kyle Fuller - Kyle played a great game. How about that crushing hit about five minutes into the second quarter on that crossing route? And the pick was beautiful.
18. D.J. Coles - Didn't really notice D.J. out there. Really hope we can get him the football at least 20 times this year. He needs touches.
19. Danny Coale - Great hit on the innocent guy on the sideline. Thank God it wasn't Joe Pa facing the wrong way.
20. Jayron Hosley - Absolutely robbed on that negated interception. I think it took him a quarter to firmly establish himself, but he played a real solid game.
22. Tony Gregory - I see him making a big 3rd down reception some time this fall.
24. Tariq Edwards - He's obviously Bud's guy for that position right now. I see why. He's real athletic. Also, I heard several intimidating "WOOOOOOOO"s after big plays. I like it.
25. Martin Scales - Saw him blast some defenders two or three times. But the announcer thought Oglesby was Scales. That's what I remember most.
26. James Hopper - Didn't see him.
29. Scott Demler - He just looks uncomfortable even before the ball is snapped. If Frank gives him another go, he needs to calm down. And if that chance comes, he better show something or he won't be a part of this list much longer.
32. Riley Beiro - Didn't see him.
33. Chris Drager - He seemed to have an OK game. I've been letting everyone know about my huge man crush on Packers tight end Jermichael Finley, so when I watch any of our tight ends, I just wish they were Finley.
34. Kyshoen Jarrett - He's not afraid of contact. I'm glad that football didn't touch him, but was it even that close?
41. Derek DiNardo - I assume special teams. If so, he earned it with that pick Week 1.
42. J.R. Collins - I like J.R. against the run. He just looks strong. Would love to see him like a half step quicker (well, I'd love to see him 8 steps quicker, but I'd take a half)
43. Jeron Gouveia-Winslow - He flew off the corner on that big third down sack. He's making plays.
45. Joey Phillips - Didn't notice any negative on Joey. I did see him launch himself in the air either late int he first quarter or early second and complete whiff on a defender. Looked cool, though.
48. Justin Myer - Another fine job. Keep getting those touchbacks.
50. Collin Carroll - Long snapper.
51. Bruce Taylor - He did a great job of reading the run quickly, leading to plays in the backfield. But boy am I glad that guy dropped a touchdown with Bruce in tow.
52. Barquell Rivers - Didn't notice Mr. Rivers.
54. Nick Becton - He looked pretty good from what I saw. I still want him to get angry.
56. Antoine Hopkins - I bet he eats at Dietrick a lot and every magical bite of Steamship Round makes him stronger.
62. Blake DeChristopher - Overall his beard had a good game.
66. Tyrel Wilson - He showed some versatility on a 3rd and 6, dropping into the flat, then catching the receiver, who could have potentially scored with a nice move. Then he made a nice play on a run two plays later. I want to see more of him.
68. Jaymes Brooks - He had a tough holding call on what should have been a touchdown drive. Did see him make a lot of good blocks, though.
71. Vinston Painter - I didn't see a whole lot of him. BDC played a ton on the right side.
72. Andrew Lanier - Solid. Threw a great block on David's big run early in the fourth. Then again on Oglesby's second touchdown.
74. Andrew Miller - I like his size. He doesn't get moved around easily.
75. Greg Nosal - Did you see his finger tip punch their stupid 'Captain Jack Sparrow on acid' mascot in the face?
76. David Wang - I'm pissed he is hurt and feel bad for him. I hope he heals quickly.
80. George George - Didn't see George George out there. Is he on field goal protection?
81. Jarrett Boykin - I'm proud of him for getting the receptions record. Enjoy watching him this season before he heads off to play on Sundays.
86. Eric Martin - I cringed at that false start on a key third down. It stings. He needs to be Steady Eddy...I mean Steady Eric.
88. Ryan Malleck - See 80.
89. Cody Journell - I think you all come to this site to hear some real talk, so here it is: There's no excuse for the missed field goal. It's like a turnover when you miss inside 30. It's unacceptable. We've watch a lot of steady kickers come through recently for one short season. I'd really like to see him get it together and be a mainstay on special teams for a few seasons.
90. Duan Perez-Means - Don't recall DPM.
92. Luther Maddy - I saw him fighting two pass blockers more than once and he was driving them back, forcing Davis to move. I bet this kid just mows down the sled at practice.
93. Isaiah Hamlette - Didn't see much of him.
95. Zack McCray - Read the line right above this.
96. Corey Marshall - What catches my eye us his explosion off the ball. He's quick. And his tenacity earned him a big sack when ECU had good field position at the end of the third.
98. Derrick Hopkins - I hope he and 56 eat together (read 56). Brother lunches at Dietrick!
99. James Gayle - Don't sit around and say his offside penalty cost VT an interception - Davis doesn't make that throw if there isn't a flag. But it was the low point of a pretty rough first sequence. However, Gayle is going to tear it up all year. Can't wait to see more when teams take longer drops.