Hokies Outdoor Track starts today with the Hokies sending athletes to three different meets.
Raleigh Relays - 3/24/22-3/26/22
So far only the distance and throws start lists are posted. The sprints will be posted after seeding is done at check-in. This meet attracts a ton of athletes. I was surprised to see how many sections were being run for some of the distance events like 15 for the 1500m and 10 for the men's 5000 meters. A lot of new names so we will see how they do.
Events on 3/24 with Hokies
1. Men's 1500m - David Beck, Eldon Phillips, Christian Jackson, Azaan Dawson, David Whitfield, Seb Anthony
2. Men's 5000m - Colby Burcham, Tyler Leeser, Viktor Idhammar, Ethan Mills, David Kennedy, Arnav Tikhe, Dclan Rymer, Ben Fleming.
3. Men's Shot Put - Tyson Jones
4. Women's Shot Put - Fiona Richards and Essence Henderson
Events on 3/25 with Hokies
1. Women's 5000m - Ava Hassebrock and Chase Kappeler
2. Women's 1500m - Maxana Grubb and Ashley Smith
3. Women's Discus - Rebecca Mammel and Fiona Richards
4. Men's Discus - Tyson Jones
3/25 Sprint Update
5. Men's 110 m Hurdles - Matthew Mitchell and Sam McLendon
6. Men's 100m Dash - Cole Beck, Chad Blaker, Donovan Louis, Michael Bell, KJ Moore, Torrence Walker
7. Men's 400m - Kahleje Tillmon, Kennedy Harrison, Tyreke Sapp
8. Women's 100m Hurdles - Layla Anderson
Events on 3/26 with Hokies
1. Men's Hammer - Khalil Bedoui
2. Women's Hammer - Rebecca Mammel and Sara Killinen
3. Sprints - I'll update this when the start lists are posted.
Weems Baskin Invitational - 3/25-3/26
Per VT Track, jumpers and multi athletes will be attending this one, but no start lists that I can find so I will update as I find info.
3/25 Events with Hokies
1. Women's 400m - Elly Kuzma
2. Women's Javelin - Birna Kristjansdottir (Multi Athlete)
3. Women's Long Jump - Hailey Huston Myles and Birna Krisjansdottir
4. Men's Javelin - John Manilli, Conrad Pereira, Jacob Spotswood, Sean Murphy (All Multi Athletes)
5. Men's Long Jump - Elijah Bell
6. Men's Long Jump Invitational - Caleb Stephens
3/26 Events with Hokies
1. Women's 100m Hurdles - Birna Kristjansdottir
2. Women's High Jump Invite - Rosie Cicmanec, Jordan Jones, Laurel Miller
3. Women's 400m Hurdles - Elly Kuzma
4. Women's Triple Jump - Hailey Huston Myles
5. Men's Triple Jump - Caleb Stephens
6. Men's High Jump - Sean Murphy
7. Men's High Jump Invite - Elijah Bell and Aidan Clark
8. Men's Discus - John Manilli, Conrad Pereira, Jacob Spotswood, Sean Murphy
9. Men's 110 Hurdles - Jacob Spotswood, John Manilli, Conrad Manilli
Rachel Baxter and Julia Fixsen are in Austin, TX to compete with some of the best in the women's pole vault. Of the eleven women competing, six are college athletes (2 Hokies, 1 Baylor, 1 Duke, 1 Louisville, and 1 LSU). The rest of the field is made up non-collegiate athletes with international competition experience.
1. Bridget Williams, former Hoo and current VT volunteer assistant coach, finished third in the USATF Indoor Championships a couple of weeks ago.
2. Katerina Stefanidi - Katerina is from Greece originally and is a Stanford graduate. 2012 Outdoor NCAA champion, 2016 Olympic Gold Medalist, etc etc. She is very well decorated internationally.
3. Jenn Suhr - three time Olympian, 2012 Gold Medalist and 2008 Silver Medalist, World Indoor Record Holder, 5th at the last Olympic Trials. Oh and she turned 40 in February.
4. Anicka Newell - two time Olympian for Canada
5. Emily Grove - Has competed internationally but has not had the same level of success as the other non-collegiate athletes.
The pole vault event is scheduled for 3/26.