I started taking a look at projecting what our resume come tournament time could look like, and I was shocked to notice a couple of things:
As of 2/5/19, Buzzketball doesn't have a truly "bad" loss - PSU's win at Northwestern last night bumped it up from NET #85 to #74. As it was a road game, that now puts it as a Quadrant I loss.
We're currently 3-4 in Quadrant I - wins vs Purdue, vs Washington, and @NC state that shouldn't be at risk of falling down to Quadrant II. Our only losses (@UVA, @Duke, @PSU, Louisville) are all Quadrant I losses, and with the exception of @PSU, look to solidly stay there. For sake of completeness, here's our current record split by quadrant:
Remaining schedule has 4 more Q1 games (UVA, Duke, @FSU, @Clemson) with the closest one to the Q1/Q2 line being Clemson at NET #51. So assuming Clemson doesn't drop 20+ spots, these should all be Q1 games.
Other remaining games are @Pitt, @ND (both Q2) and home against GT, Miami (both Q3). Interesting note is that Pitt is NET #80 and ND is NET #87. With a couple of wins, there's potential for either of these teams to move up enough to make our games count in Q1.
TL;DR: If you're looking for VT to maximize the NET rankings/quadrant records, here are a few reasonable things to hope for:
- PSU wins a few more games to stay above NET #75 - keeps our record clear of "bad losses"
- Steal wins on the road @FSU and @Clemson
- Hold serve at home against GT, Miami (we've beaten both on the road already)
- Beat Pitt and ND on the road where we should be slightly favored, and hope they upset a team or two to move above NET#75
- UVA's team bus takes the same route as the equipment truck in 2016 and gets stuck on Rt 624
- Pray that Blackshear doesn't foul out in warm-ups being on the same court as Zion and Duke