1) Special teams stunk early. There appeared to be some personnel changes as the game moved on. Keshawn King came in for Wheatley on kick return. Tavion Robinson replaced Grimsley on punt return. There were also some changes in the wedge blockers. In the third quarter, I noticed walk on tight end Cole Blaker from Narrows doing a good job. I would love to see some more depth guys winning jobs on teams to reduce wear and tear on starters and gain some game-speed experience.
2) Related, this may have been the fewest snaps I saw from Dalton Keene all season. VT was just as effective when Mitchell was in with three receivers- in fact Wake was more passive against the run with that personnel grouping. Keene had a handful of highlight reel blocks, but I am sure less wear and tear, especially after having to run the ball, was a welcome respite for Keene.
3) Bassham was a monster. And, when you watch a second time, you realize that VT ran away from him a bunch more than they ran at him. He was great pursuing the play- not just the Hooker fumble. He made several tackles on the opposite side of the field from where he lined up. Boy, he would look good in maroon and orange right now.
4) Garbutt's best game at VT. With his twitch, he should be creating way more pressure. It finally started happening.
5) While Ashby should play, the defense looked mighty good with Tisdale spying Newman and Dax blitzing from the mike spot when Ashby got dinged up.
6) Becton was getting work where Griffin normally would be playing. I also didn't see Griffin on special teams. Has anyone reported Griffin being injured?