I frequently see jet sweeps singled out as a particularly bad part of our offense. Since it's the offseason and I had a free afternoon I decided I wanted to find out just how bad they were, because criticism by the eye test alone doesn't move the needle for me.
Unfortunately there is no Jet Sweep Attempt statistic, so I had to collect and enter the data myself.
Here is my methodology:
- Use ESPN's play by play game log to find each non-QB rushing attempt.
- Find that rushing attempt in the Hokietapes replay to see if it was a jet sweep.
- Take down the quarter, time, down, yards to gain, yards gained, if there was a TD, player, and alignment.
- I make no distinction between alignment in the slot vs wide.
- Plays negated by penalty are not counted.
- Plays where the runner was aligned in the H-Back position and ran a sweep were counted.
Here are some statistical notes:
- We attempted 40 jet sweeps in 2019, good for 3.33 per game.
- We averaged 7.1 ypc on jet sweep attempts.
- The middle 75% of jet sweep attempts averaged 5.1 ypc.
- The middle 50% of jet sweep attempts averaged 4.5 ypc.
- The median attempt went for 4 yards.
- 45% of jet sweep attempts went for 3 yards or less.
- 23% of jet sweep attempts went for more than 9 yards.
- 13% of jet sweep attempts went for negative yardage.
- More than half of our jet sweep attempts were on 1st down.
- We attempted 6 jet sweeps on 3rd down. Of those 6 we made the line to gain 3 times, but the 3 times we did not convert were all 3rd and goal.
- Turner attempted the most jet sweeps at 22 for 223 yards and 10.1 ypc.
- Robinson attempted 8 for 33 yards and 4.1 ypc.
- Mitchell attempted 5 for 8 yards, but 4 of these attempts went for short touchdowns.
- King, Grimsley, and Hazelton combined to chip in 4 attempts for 16 and 4 ypc.
Here is the data:
Some other notes and omitted plays:
- There were 4 reverses by WRs that all gained 8 yards or more that were omitted.
- McClease never attempted a jet sweep which would have saved me a lot of time had I known that going in.
- The -20 yard attempt by Turner was scored as his fumble and lost yardage, but this occurred on a botched exchange.