I think the heavy verbage is part of why Auburn didn't succeed with Loeffler at the helm. Cam Newton said a few years ago to Jon Gruden that they would just get a number (eg 36) from the sideline and that would contain all the info for the play. It's hard to get to people who were used to that to know what "Brown Left Z Right Sprint Right G U Corner HB Flat" or any other 14 word play means and execute properly.

To be fair, I don't think it's harder on the quarterback with the verbiage and definitely much easier on all the other players. Memorizing a play associated with a number seems like a lot of useless memorization. What the hell was play 22? What was play 105? Whereas, "Z motion out" is easy, the slot motions, then does an out route. If I was a player, I'd much rather a descriptive name than a baseless number. Of course, it's not that simple, but I imagine anyone who studies would be able to figure out the verbiage and the philosophy it was derived from. Just takes on-field practice and off-field studying.

Thanks for letting us know what you saw in the scrimmage.

Wolf32's picture Wolf32 | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

I'm not a lawyer, I just work with NCAA rules every day and it looked like the first post was looking for the right answer. Given that we don't know the actual cost of the rings, we can't be definitive about it not being a violation but it likely is not.

aqua's picture aqua | Hokies make Dominique Booth's Top-10 | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Why does he have a florida gators background on twitter if they are not even in his top ten?

Joe Lanza's picture Joe Lanza
publisher
| 2013 Spring Practice: Second Open Scrimmage | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Tyler tweeted after the scrimmage, "Don't worry about me, I'll be alright".

Mike Stancik wrote, "Tariq Edwards & Jack Tyler looked solid stuffing the run together, until Tyler (unofficially) dislocated his finger while making a tackle."

Mason Naumann's picture Mason Naumann | Hokies make Dominique Booth's Top-10 | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Helps that the kids from Indianopolis, the city Moorehead won his ring at. Booth probably remembers that season, if not Moorehead in particular.

The Fighting Gobbler's picture The Fighting Gobbler | Cheerleading is like Golf? | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

It should be televised sometime in May on CBS. I'll let you know when I find the set date.

Looked like a stinger.

06Hokie's picture 06Hokie | Hokies make Dominique Booth's Top-10 | 2 replies | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Seems like Coach Moorehead's name carries weight. I hope this is the start of a great career for our new receivers coach. Would be nice to have another elite player from that region of the country (Darren Evans, Kris Harley, Kyshoen Jarrett).

rhinocerosv3's picture rhinocerosv3 | Cheerleading is like Golf? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Do you happen to know if this is/was/will be televised? My wife catches these things every now and then, and I'd like to set the channel to --insert channel and time slot here-- like I just finished watching something, she notices and settles in to watch... then I come back in the room and go...

"Oh, I see Tech is in the competition... (non-chalantly) that's cool. Oh is Auburn in it? No? Huh... Oh we got fifth? Wow, we're WAAAAY better than your suck-ass school!"

And then give her the double chop motion to the crotchial area. Bam.

Our passing game looked pretty good today. Tight ends (especially Malleck) dropped a bunch of passes though. The running game is a different story. Offensive line is generating little to no push except for the rare play, which is when a running back actually gains yards. Michael Holmes looked improved today. Demetri Knowles also had a good day - a couple long catches and 1 was a touchdown on Kyle Fuller. He did have 1 drop when Logan threw a little behind him and a defender got his hands in.

Looked much better than Monday. Kept consistent oline (especially 1st team) throughout. McLaughlin holds his own and is massive. I think he plays come fall.
I'm not sure if Caleb knows what he's doing or not but if he figures it out, watch out. He's got the athleticism to be a difference maker. Knowles looked good. Didn't see many targets for Stanford.

TEs need someone to step up in a Loeffler offense. Liked what I saw out of McCray.

Holmes looked the best of the RBs, but is also the only one who found what few holes there were.

Looks like there's some young guys on D who may contribute. There is absolutely no depth at linebacker.

ashore13's picture ashore13 | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Sorry if this doesn't come out right. I'm new to html.

The Fighting Gobbler's picture The Fighting Gobbler | Cheerleading is like Golf? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

I was planning a whole separate post for Finals, but NCA is taking their sweet time posting the videos. So I'll provide a quick update. They had a few slip ups and ended up placing 5th overall. From what I hear, we touched on a few tumbling passes, one stunt popped down early, and half of our final pyramid fell. Without the video, I won't be able to know exactly what happened, but it doesn't matter much at this point.

After coming in to Finals in 2nd place, finishing 5th probably seems like a bit of a let-down, but 5th in the Nation is still pretty damn good. Congratulations to the team, and especially the seniors, who worked so hard to get here.

What's wrong with Jack Tyler's arm??

LeggoMyEggo's picture LeggoMyEggo | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

Lawyered.

Sounds like the Offense is really picking up this go-round. Encouraging news!

NCAA Bylaw 16.1.4.1 allows institutions to provide its student-athletes with participation awards. You can access the Division I Manual at: http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4284-2012-2013-ncaa-division-i-manual-.... You can download it as a free PDF. Go to the end of Bylaw 16 and look at Figure 1, Figure 2 and Figure 3. Bottom line, it is likely permissible.

ryane26vt's picture ryane26vt | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

I think they are "division champions" rings...even though the Bucks couldn't go to the Big 10 championship game they were still allowed to claim a division title, I think. Otherwise I think you'd be right, the NCAA would frown upon them getting rings.

deathrow821's picture deathrow821 | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

But isn't the other gear bought by the university? If I was a coach I would just tell recruits that I would buy them a $5000 ring for every game we won, if it's legal then you wouldn't get in trouble but you could also pay your players. Seems like a loophole to me.

Foster's picture Foster | Isn't this an NCAA violation? | 1 reply | commented 6 years 1 week ago | reply

I think coaches buying rings for players is on the same plane as all the other gear the players get. I'm talking shirts, shorts, pants, jackets, hoodies so on and so forth. It just so happens this gear is worth a lot more. Based on previous stuff (Interestingly enough from Ohio State) the only time I think they get in trouble is if the players sell it i.e. terrelle pryor selling his pants.